Thursday, March 8, 2007

96 Cents

I am making steady progress on the Dollar and a Half Cardigan, which surprises me because I've been really busy. It's amazing how 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there adds up. I've got almost a dollar, hey hey hey hey.

96_cents

Isn't it purdy?

But, oh, the counting! I followed some good advice to knit both fronts at the same time and then both sleeves at the same time, and I'm glad I did because it has kept my gauge constant and the decreases in the right places on both sides (and I'm optimistically assuming that the difference in width will go away with blocking, by the way). On the other hand, the fronts are not identical, so at this point I am trying to simultaneously keep track of all of these things:

  • How many rows have I knit on the cable pattern? Is it time to cable again yet?
  • How many rows until I switch from Reverse Stockinette back to the lace pattern on the other side?
  • How many neck decreases have I done?
  • How many sleve decreases have I done and how many do I still need to do?
  • And because the decreasing with the lace pattern is finicky, have I messed it up? Do I still have the right number of stitches on both needles (which are, of course, different numbers on both sides. Of course.)? What IS the right number of stitches? Oh my.

Thank goodness for post-it notes.

Anyway, I'm so happy to see that the Knit-Along is growing nicely with lots of new participants! It's good to hear what other people are doing with this sweater. So far, from this Knit-Along, I've learned that the Left and Right fronts are indeed flipped in the picture, which was causing me great confusion once I got to the sleeve decreases, as to that point I had been paying more attention to watching American Idol than reading the pattern (I do love that big crazy poofy-haired guy, I do). My solution to the problem is that my fronts will just be flipped. I think it's somewhat fitting for me to own a backwards sweater. (Well, hopefully it will fit, anyway.)

Also, make sure you check out Al's fantastic tutorial on row 7 of the lace pattern, which it is highly possible that I have been doing wrong all this time! Oh well. No going back now for me!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! What amazing progress! After seeing this, if my yarn doesn't come in the mail tomorrow, I'm going to be really cranky. Thanks for the tips on knitting the sleeves at the same time, and the fronts at the same time. I've never successfully finished a sweater in pieces, so I might have to try that technique.

Mary B said...

Wow, you are almost finished! Love the color. I think I'll knit the sleeves at the same time but not the two fronts -- they're just too different from each other, I would go crazy trying to keep track.

al said...

looks great! another woman at my SnB is knitting it and her cable-y front is doing the same thing. i bet it will block out!